Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

According to Wikipedia:

A New Year’s Resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or reforming of a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous. The name comes from the fact that these commitments normally go into effect on New Year’s Day and remain until fulfilled or abandoned.

We have all made them, I’m sure. I know I have. I have made so many its not even funny. I have bought diet food on New Year’s Eve. And not just any diet food. ALL diet food, depending on what diet I was starting the next day. This is a regular thing. If you can’t find me on New Year’s Eve, just look at the grocery store. There I will be! LOL! I have bought nicotine patches and gum on New Year’s Eve. Only to go and buy a pack of cigarettes on New Year’s Day. I have consumed too much alcohol on New Year’s Eve, saying that is the last drink I will have, only to “fall off the wagon” by Super Bowl Sunday. I have said I was going to start going to church, only to last one Sunday. I have said I was going to exercise more, only to lie on the couch instead of hitting the pavement. I have made at least 20 New Year’s Resolutions, maybe more. I have yet to fulfill one of them. They are always the same.

Why is it that we think, this year will be different. Is it a false hope that we fool ourselves into thinking? Do we want it so bad that we think by making this promise that it will work on New Year’s Day even though we try to do these “Resolutions” all year long? Or is it a stupid tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation?

I will say right now. That even though it goes against everything thing I have ever done…I will not be making a New Year’s Resolution this year. It frightens me to actually say that. YIKES! Why? I guess because I’m saying that I’m not promising to change my bad habits. If you know me…and everyone reading this does. These are things I struggle with everyday. Not just on December 31st. I want to quit smoking everyday. I want to loose weight everyday. I want to exercise everyday. I want to go to church where people know me and not the mistakes I have made. I want it all!

So, I guess I am lost without my trusty New Year’s Resolution. Not that I don’t have hope that I can change my bad habits into good ones. I can always have hope.

I can say I am very excited about 2009. There are so many great things I am looking forward to. Instead of dwelling on the things I want to change. I want to celebrate the things I don’t want to change. Then I think everything else will fall into place!

Happy New Year’s my Dear Friends!
I love you all!

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a post!!!
That is all very true too!
I don't remember keeping any of my New Year's Resolutions either.

You have a good attitude about it. Maybe I will make that my New Year's Resolution. lol!!!

Yay!!

Julie said...

Not a negative post at all, just honest! I've not made resolutions for many years. I know myself too well. Why set yourself up for failure? Set yourself up for success! Don't set any goals, that way if you don't accomplish anything, you will have succeeded and not failed! yay!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post!!!! I have faith that you can do anything you set your mind too...you just a need a little "push" sometimes to get you started. I would gladly PUSH you if you want me too LOL!!! Luv you!